Damage is any change in a thing, often a physical object, that degrades it away from its initial state. It can broadly be defined as "changes introduced into a system that adversely affect its current or future performance". Damage "does not necessarily imply total loss of system functionality, but rather that the system is no longer operating in its optimal manner".
In short. It's what you need to do if you're ever hoping to defeat something. Utilizing one type or many types of damage is the way to achieve that.
Damage can be calculated in specific ways, but be aware that mishaps may happen, damage may be reduced by armor and the enemy's DEF, so a number will never be exactly the same of the formula, rather, it will only show you your peak performance to pitch against an opponent's defenses.
For Basic Attacks:
- Scaled Weapon Attack
- Scaled Weapon Attack * (Skill's percentage SWA scaling)
For Spells (If the Tome's Damage Type == Spell's Magic Domain):
- Tome's Power + Scaled Weapon Attack * (Spell's percentage SWA scaling + Spell's Elemental ATK scaling)
For Spells (If the Tome's Damage Type =/= Spell's Magic Domain):
- Scaled Weapon Attack * (Spell's percentage SWA scaling + Spell's Elemental ATK scaling)
Damage is also modified by certain status effects, listed below:
- Analyze Weakness
- Enemy Evaluation
- Absolute Death (Physical damage-only)
- Claret Call (Damage from Ghost skills and non-Gun Basic Attacks-only)
| Damage vs. Protection|
Hit vs. Evade
Critical vs. Critical Evade
Status Infliction vs. Status Resistance